Mussel salad with fried bread
( SERVES 4 )
(You can click on ingredients to see more related recipes)
|½ cup||White wine|
|½ cup||Vegetable stock|
|½ cup||Olive oil|
|2 cloves||Garlic, (finely chopped)|
|1 loaf||Ciabatta bread, (Small, torn into bite-sized pieces)|
|1 to decorate||Flat leaf parsley|
- Scrub the mussels then put in a saucepan. Pour over the wine and stock, cover and bring to a boil. Cook for 5 minutes to steam open the shells. Drain, remove the shells and roughly chop the mussels.
- Heat the olive oil in a large pan. Over a medium heat cook the garlic gently for 1 minute then add the currants and the bread. Toast for 5 minutes.
- Grill the red peppers over a flame or under a grill. Turn them as the skin blisters and blackens then either put into a paper bag or a bowl covered with plastic wrap and leave to steam for 30 minutes.
- Peel off the skin, remove the seeds and slice. Grill the pancetta until crisp, let cool then tear into pieces.
- Combine the mussels, currants and bread with the pancetta and the peppers.
- Pour over the remaining juices and oil from the toast and the peppers. Toss to combine, taste for seasoning and add roughly chopped parsley.