Date and coffee syrup cake
( SERVES 8 )
(You can click on ingredients to see more related recipes)
|70 g||Breadcrumbs, stale not fresh|
|1 tsp||Baking soda|
|150 g||Fresh dates, pitted and chopped|
|½ cup||Espresso coffee|
|80 g||Butter, softened|
|165 g||Caster sugar|
|185 g||Self raising flour|
|1½ tsp||Ground cinnamon|
To make the cake
- Combine breadcrumbs, soda and dates. Stir in espresso and set aside.
- Cream butter and sugar. Add eggs one at a time, beating well after each addition.
- Sift flour with cinnamon, fold into butter mixture alternatively with buttermilk.
- Fold in breadcrumb mixture, spoon into buttered, sugared pudding moulds and bake at 165C for 20 minutes.
To make the coffee syrup
- In a saucepan, combine all ingredients and reduce to cup.
- Prick the cakes all over and dip into syrup.