World on a Plate: Thai
Maneeka's laab setthee recipe
Thai community leader Maneeka Campbell will be prepares a classic Thai dish, laab setthee. Traditionally eaten as a snack or part of a main course, Maneeka says, "my family likes to spoon the mixture into fresh lettuce leaves".
(You can click on ingredients to see more related recipes)
|227 g||Ground pork, or chicken|
|¼ tbsp||Ground died chlli|
|2 tbsp||Fish sauce|
|1 to taste||Thai mint leaves|
|1 to taste||Coriander|
- To make ground toasted rice, place uncooked rice in a dry wok or frying pan over medium-high heat.
- As the rice heats up, shake the pan back and forth or stir with a spoon.
- After a few minutes, the rice will turn a light golden brown and will begin to pop (like popcorn).
- When it begins to pop, transfer the rice to a coffee grinder or pestle and mortar. Grind down to a coarse powder.
- Place the ground pork (or ground chicken) in heated pan and stir until cooked.
- Turn off the heat and add the ground toasted rice, shallot, lime, fish sauce, chopped spring onions, mint leaves and coriander.
- Gently toss the mixture. Serve with sliced cucumber and sliced cabbage.