World on a Plate: Brazil
As head chef at Auckland's Savour & Devour restaurant, Jaqueline Maciel prepares Mediterranean and traditional French cuisine.
(You can click on ingredients to see more related recipes)
|1 to taste||White ground pepper|
|1 tsp||Crushed garlic|
|1 to taste||Salt & freshly ground pepper|
|200 ml||Coconut cream|
- Marinate the fish pieces in fresh lemon juice, white ground pepper and bay leaves. Put to one side.
- Fry the onion, garlic, celery in a pot until soft.
- Add the diced tomatoes (skinned) and keep stirring on a medium-to-low heat, then back to a low heat.
- Cook for about 20 minutes then add the sugar, salt and pepper and put to one side.
- In a frying pan, heat 2 Tbs of olive oil and 1/2 tsp crushed garlic. Add the fish and fry both sides slightly.
- Add enough sauce to cover the fish, together with the coconut cream. Season and add fresh chopped coriander.
- Serve with plain long grain basmati or jasmine rice.