World on a Plate: Dutch
"Pancake restaurants are very popular in Holland and that's why I wanted to introduce these into New Zealand," said Willem van der Velde, proud owner of the Dutch Delight delis in Birkenhead and Greenhithe. Dutch poffertjes are a batter treat, smaller and thicker than pancakes with a light spongy texture. Willem's poffertjes recipe
|500 g||Self raising flour|
|50 ml||Vanilla essence/extract|
- Mix all the ingredients together until you have a smooth, thick liquid.
- Warm a frypan or a poffertjespan (a non-stick pan with lots of cups) and brush some butter, or spray oil, into all the cups in the pan.
- Put the poffertjes mix in a squeeze bottle and squeeze the mix into all the cups.
- Cook until they're golden brown on both sides and be sure that the inside of the poffertjes are cooked through.
- Place the poffertjes on a warm plate, put some butter in the middle, and sprinkle icing sugar over the top
This dish is best matched with
$ VIEW DEAL