World on a plate: Indian
Bharat Jamnadas hosts a popular cooking segment on the TV show Asia Downunder and is chef for today's World on a Plate event at Auckland Museum. A dish popular in most parts of India and South Asia is pakora, a savoury vegetable fritter containing some of the most frequently used spices in Indian cuisine.
Bharat's pakora recipe
(You can click on ingredients to see more related recipes)
|2 cups||Besan (chickpea flour)|
|1 tsp||Garam masala|
|½ tsp||Ground tumeric|
|½ tsp||Chilli powder|
|½ cup||Coriander leaves|
|1 to taste||Vegetable oil|
- In a bowl mix together the besan, garam masala, turmeric, chilli powder and salt.
- Add the lemon juice and gradually add enough water to make a thick batter.
- Add the garlic, chopped coriander leaves and chopped vegetables into the batter and mix thoroughly.
- Heat vegetable oil in a deep pan.
- Drop teaspoons of the batter in a pan, about 10 at a time, and deep fry until they are brown all over and cooked through.
- Drain well on paper towels. Serve with chutneys.