Feijoa, honey and pistachio strudel
( SERVES 4 )
(You can click on ingredients to see more related recipes)
|1 tsp||Ground cardamom|
|½ tsp||Vanilla extract|
|5 sheets||Filo pastry|
|50 g||Butter, (melted)|
|½ cup||Pistachio nuts, (coarsely chopped, plus 1Tbs extra)|
|½ cup||Icing sugar|
|1 to drizzle||Lemon juice|
- Peel and chop the feijoas. Put into a saucepan with the cardamom, honey, vanilla and water. Cook gently for 10 minutes or until soft and pulpy. Spoon into a sieve and let cool.
- Preheat oven to 200 degC. Lay the pastry out. Filo dries out quickly so cover with a sheet of foil and then a damp tea towel while preparing.
- Take one sheet, brush lightly with butter and sprinkle with pistachios. Cover with a second sheet and repeat until you reach the final sheet.
- Spoon the feijoa along the end of the pastry, keeping an inch free on either side. Fold the edges over the feijoa mixture then roll up.
- Brush the edge with butter before sealing. Brush the top of the pastry with butter then place on a baking tray and cook for 25 minutes or until golden and crispy.
- Stir the icing sugar together with the lemon juice and drizzle over the cooled strudel before sprinkling over the rest of the pistachios. Serve with cream or Greek style yoghurt.