Fresh figs with caramel tart
( SERVES 6 )
(You can click on ingredients to see more related recipes)
|100 g||Butter, (cold and cut into cubes)|
|200 g||Plain flour|
|1 tbsp||Dutch cocoa powder|
- To make the pastry; put the butter, flour, cocoa and salt in a food processor. Pulse until combined and resembling breadcrumbs.
- Whisk the egg with a fork and pour into the mixture. Pulse until the pastry begins to hold together then stop. You may need to add a teaspoon or two of cold water.
- Remove, shape into a ball and wrap in plastic wrap. Refrigerate for an hour.
- Roll out the pastry, wrap it around the rolling pin then unroll it over the tart tin. Press it gently into the tin then trim to fit. Refrigerate for 30 minutes.
- Preheat oven to 200 degC. Line the pastry with foil or baking paper and fill with baking weights, or use rice or dried beans.
- Bake for 10 minutes then remove the weights and paper and bake for a further 5 minutes or until cooked. Let cool.
- To make the caramel, put the sugar and water in a saucepan and boil until a caramel colour.
- Immediately pour in the cream, turn the heat to low and stir until combined. Pour into the cooled pastry shell and refrigerate for 30 minutes.
- To make the ganache; break up the chocolate and put into a bowl with the cream.
- Sit this over simmering water and stir gently until melted and smooth, adding a little more cream if necessary.
- Pour over the caramel, spreading with a spoon as you go and return to the fridge until set. Serve in small slices with halved figs and softly whipped cream.