Baked gingerbread Alaska
(You can click on ingredients to see more related recipes)
|225 g||Plain flour|
|½ tsp||Ground ginger|
|½ tsp||Baking powder|
|½ tsp||Baking soda|
|15 g||Demerara sugar|
|50 g||Butter, at room temperature|
|50 g||Golden syrup|
|4||Ice cream, balls of your favourite icecream. Leave in freezer until required|
|150 g||Eggs, whites, at room temperature|
|375 g||Sugar, split into two amounts|
|200 g||Slivered almonds|
- Pre-heat oven to 180 degC. Grease and line a loaf tin.
- In a mixing bowl, stir together the flour, ginger, baking powder, baking soda and salt.
- Warm the sugar, butter, treacle and golden syrup in the microwave.
- In a mixing bowl, whisk together the egg and milk and mix with the other ingredients.
- Pour the mixture into a loaf tin, rap on the bench to level out and bake for 40 minutes.
- Cool for five minutes, turn out and cut into 15mm slices.
- With an electric mixer, beat the egg whites with the salt until soft peaks form.
- Pour in the first quantity of sugar, whisking the egg whites until firm.
- Add the second amount of sugar and continue to whisk until the egg whites are glossy and stiff, then fold in the almonds.
- Place a ball of icecream on the slice and place spoonfuls of meringue all around and over the icecream to cover it.
- Place into the oven for four minutes to brown the meringue, then serve.