World's easiest fruit cake
Best eaten the day it's made.
(You can click on ingredients to see more related recipes)
|1¼ cups||Self raising flour|
|2||Apples, cored and thinly sliced|
- Preheat the oven to 180 degC. Line a 23cm loose-bottomed cake tin with baking paper for easy removal. Grease the sides of the tin.
- Blend the flour and sugar together in a large bowl.
- Add the melted butter, vanilla and eggs**. Pour the mixture into tin.
- Place the fruit (granny smith apples) on top of the cake and press down, then sprinkle with cinnamon and sugar.
- Bake 180 degC for 1 hour.
* You can substitute the seasonal fruit for a can of drained fruit, such as pears, if desired. Serve warm with whipped cream and unsweetened plain yoghurt.
** Creaming the softened butter and sugar, then adding eggs and vanilla before the dry ingredients takes a little longer, but produces a better result.