Fruit pastes are always a popular feature on an antipasto platter and this apricot version is simple to make and delicious with any cheese.
(You can click on ingredients to see more related recipes)
- Wash apricots, cut in half and remove stones. Chop flesh roughly. Place in a large saucepan and just cover with water. Bring to the boil. Cook until flesh is very soft.
- Add sugar. Add lemon juice and cook, simmering, for approximately 40 minutes, stirring to prevent the mixture from sticking on the base of the saucepan. The mixture should be very thick. It is ready when you can see the bottom of the saucepan after you have dragged your wooden spoon through the mixture.
- Line a sponge-roll tin with baking paper. Spread mixture into tin. Place in a warm oven, which has been turned off, to dry out the mixture.
- Cut paste into pieces, toss in caster sugar and wrap in waxed paper.
- Store in an airtight container. Eat as a snack or serve with cheese.