Mulled wine poached pears
( SERVES 6 )
(You can click on ingredients to see more related recipes)
|1 bottle||Red wine|
|1||Lemon, peeled rind|
|1||Orange, peeled rind|
|6||Pears, firm, peeled to retain stalks|
|6||Sage leaves, (optional)|
- Combine the bottle of wine, the sugar, lemon peel, orange peel and spices in a saucepan and bring to the boil, then reduce to a simmer.
- Add pears, cover with a piece of baking paper to poach for about 20 to 25 minutes or until just tender. Remove pears to a serving dish to cool.
- Strain wine mixture to remove and discard flavourings. Return liquid to the pan and bring to the boil, then simmer for 5 to 10 minutes to reduce to a thick syrup.
- Pour syrup over pears and leave to cool completely, then refrigerate.
- Decorate with sage leaves to mimic fresh pear leaves, if desired.
- Serve cold, with cream on the side, if preferred.