Cousin Patty's apple sponge slice
( SERVES 10 )
(You can click on ingredients to see more related recipes)
|4||Apples, large cooking style, peeled|
|⅓ cup||Water, cold|
|½ cup||Caster sugar|
|2 tsp||Baking powder|
|1 to dust||Icing sugar|
- Quarter apples, remove and discard cores, then cut flesh into slices.
- Place sliced apples, water, lemon juice and sugar in a saucepan and bring to the boil.
- Reduce heat and simmer for 5 minutes until apples are tender.
- Lightly grease a 17 x 27cm slice tin and spread cooked apple slices over base of tin.
- Heat oven to 160 degC fan bake.
- Combine butter and caster sugar in a bowl and beat with an electric mixer until creamy.
- Beat in egg then briefly stir in sifted dry ingredients, just enough to combine.
- Place spoonfuls of sponge mix over the apples - the mix will be very thick but will spread during cooking to cover the apple base.
- Bake for 35 to 45 minutes or until sponge springs back when touched. S
- prinkle with icing sugar, cut in squares and serve with store-bought vanilla custard on the side, if desired.