Cherry Christmas pudding
|1 cup||Currants, or diced prunes|
|½ cup||Almonds, chopped|
|3 tbsp||Mixed spice|
|¾ cup||Rice bran oil, or peanut oil|
|3½ cups||Pitted cherries, fresh or canned, drained|
|200 g||Dark chocolate, minimum 64% cocoa|
|¾ cup||Brown sugar, soft|
|¼ cup||Cocoa powder|
- Mix together the first 10 ingredients and leave for at least 4 hours, or overnight if possible. Add the eggs to the soaked fruit and mix well.
- Mix all dry ingredients together, including chocolate, and with light hands, mix into fruit. Place the mixture into two greased 1-litre pudding basins.
- Cover with greaseproof paper, then take a large piece of tinfoil, fold and pleat in the middle before tightly covering the pudding basins. Tie edges with string to secure the tinfoil tightly.
- For each pudding: In the bottom of a large saucepan place a thick piece of cardboard or a heat-proof saucer and lower the pudding on top. Fill each saucepan with enough boiling water to come halfway up the sides of the basins, then cover with a tightly fitting lid.
- Bring to boil, then lower the heat and simmer gently for 4 hours. Be sure to check the water every hour and add extra boiling water to maintain the water level until the pudding is cooked.
Tip : Serve with brandy sauce, vanilla ice cream, or slightly sweetened creme fraiche