Citrus fruit salad with burnt caramel sauce
( SERVES 4 )
Serves 4 1 cup sugar 1½ cups cold water 2 pink grapefruit, peeled and segmented 2 oranges, peeled and segmented 3 mandarins, peeled and segmented 1. Place sugar and 1 cup measured water in a saucepan.
(You can click on ingredients to see more related recipes)
|1½ cups||Water, cold|
|2||Pink grapefruit, peeled and segmented|
|2||Oranges, peeled and segmented|
|3||Mandarins, peeled and segmented|
- Place sugar and 1 cup measured water in a saucepan.
- Heat until sugar dissolves, then boil until liquid turns a dark caramel colour - this takes about 10 minutes.
- Take care as caramel is dangerously hot. Add remaining ½ cup water with caution, as the mixture will splutter.
- Simmer to dissolve caramel and form a thick syrupy sauce. Remove to cool.
- Place the segmented fruit in a bowl and pour over caramel.
- Chill for an hour before serving.
Tip: Take great care when working with caramel as the mixture is extremely hot and will stick and burn if it comes in contact with your skin.