Chocolate almond cake with ganache icing
A dark, moist and rich cake that will work either as an afternoon tea treat, or served as dessert with a side of double cream.
(You can click on ingredients to see more related recipes)
|150 g||Dark chocolate|
|⅓ cup||Cocoa powder|
|1.33 cups||Brown sugar|
|1 cup||Ground almonds|
Chocolate ganache icing
- Heat oven to 160 degC fan bake. Grease a 22cm spring form cake tin and line the base with nonstick baking paper.
- In a bowl, melt butter and chocolate together and stir until smooth. Combine cocoa powder, sugar and hot strong coffee in another bowl and stir until smooth.
- Combine both these mixtures and stir until smooth. Stir in ground almonds and 4 egg yolks.
- In a clean bowl, beat the 4 egg whites until soft peaks form. Fold egg whites into chocolate mixture.
- Pour mixture into prepared cake tin. Bake for 1 hour 15 minutes or until an inserted skewer comes out moist but clean.
- Cool cake in the tin for 30 minutes before removing to a wire rack to cool completely. Ice the cold cake with ganache.
- To make the ganache: 1. Combine cream and chocolate (coarsely chopped or chocolate melts) in a bowl and melt, either in the microwave or by placing bowl over a pan of simmering water. Stir until smooth.
- Leave to cool to room temperature so the ganache thickens and will remain on top of the cake when spread over its surface.
Tip: For ease of slicing, use a hot knife - one that has been dipped in boiling water - to cut this moist cake.