Sausage pies with quick peach relish
|400 g||Shortcrust pastry|
|2 tbsp||Fresh parsley|
|2 tbsp||Fresh basil|
|1 to taste||Salt & freshly ground pepper|
Quick peach relish
|2 tbsp||Curry powder|
|1½ cups||White wine vinegar|
|½ tsp||Black pepper - ground|
- To prepare the sausage pies: Place sausages in a saucepan, cover with cold water and bring to the boil, then simmer for five minutes.
- Remove to cool, then coarsely chop.
- Take two thirds of the frozen savoury shortcrust pastry, thawed and at room temperature, roll out to 2mm thick and use to line four 10cm cake tins or Texas muffin pans.
- Prick pastry bases and chill for 30 minutes.
- Divide sausages between pie tins. In a bowl, place 3 eggs, cream, 2 tbsp milk and chopped herbs, then season with salt and pepper and whisk to combine.
- Pour egg mixture over sausages.
- Roll out remaining pastry to 2mm thick, cut out four 11cm circles and place on top of pies to form lids.
- Crimp or fold edges to secure filling, then slash a hole in the centre of each lid to allow steam to escape during cooking. Chill for 30 minutes.
- Heat oven to 190 degC. Brush pastry lids with egg glaze (1 egg beaten with 1 tbsp cold water). Bake pies for 35 to 40 minutes or until pastry is golden brown and pie contents have set. Combine scraps of pastry to roll out a second time.
- To prepare the quick peach relish: Place all ingredients ( finely diced onion, curry powder, coarsely chopped with stones removed peaches, sultanas, white wine vinegar, white sugar, salt, freshly ground black pepper) in a saucepan and bring to the boil, stirring until sugar dissolves.
- Turn down heat and simmer for 30 to 40 minutes or until reduced and thick. Spoon into sterilised jars and seal well.