Boiled fruit cake
This is my mother's portable cake - perfect for a sweet treat when you're camping or at home in a sealed container on the bench
|500 g||Dried fruit|
|2½ cups||High grade flour|
|1 tsp||Baking powder|
|1 to drizzle||Brandy|
- Place dried fruit in a saucepan with cold water or cold tea. Bring to the boil and keep boiling gently with the lid on for five minutes. Pour off the liquid.
- Chop up butter and add to the pan. once this has melted, add sugar and blend it in slowly so the sugar dissolves. Leave to cool.
- Preheat oven to 180 degC and grease and line a 24cm cake tin.
- Add citrus(1 tsp grated orange zest and ½ tsp grated lemon zest) peel and mashed banana, if using, to mix.
- When cooled, add eggs(at room temperature, lightly beaten) then fold in vanilla, flour and baking powder(heaped tsp). Don't over-mix.
- Pour the mixture into a tin and bake for 60 to 90 minutes. Check the cake after 1 hour in the oven. When the skewer comes out cleanly from the cake, it's cooked.
- Drizzle a little brandy over the warm cake after it comes out of the oven and before removing it from the tin.