Bacon and Mushroom Penne
A creamy, delicious pasta dish that is ideal served at lunch or dinner, with a crisp, green salad on the side.
(You can click on ingredients to see more related recipes)
|350 g||Penne pasta|
|2 tbsp||Olive oil|
|250 g||Bacon - rindless|
|250 g||Button mushrooms|
|1 tbsp||Standard flour|
|⅓ cup||Red wine|
|⅔ cup||Chicken stock|
|2 tbsp||Sour cream|
|1 to taste||Salt & freshly ground pepper|
- Cook pasta in plenty of boiling, salted water for 10 minutes or according to packet instructions until just tender to the bite.
- At the same time, heat oil in a large frying pan, then add onion, bacon and mushrooms and stir-fry to lightly brown. Stir in flour and cook for 1 minute.
- Take the pan off the heat, add wine and stir until mixture is smooth, then stir in stock.
- Return to the heat and cook for 3 to 4 minutes, stirring continuously until sauce thickens.
- Stir in sour cream (lite) and oregano and season with salt and pepper to taste.
- Drain cooked pasta and add to prepared sauce. Toss well and serve.
Tip: Pasta should be cooked until al dente, which means firm to the bite. To stop cooking at the correct stage, start tasting the pasta two to three minutes before the end of the cooking time. Before draining the pasta, reserve 1 to 2 cups of the cooking water - this contains starch from the pasta that can add body to sauces.