Classic apple crumble
A perfect dessert for wintry days, this classic apple crumble never goes out of style. Serve with custard or ice-cream (vanilla or something with a twist), for a heart-warming family dessert.
(You can click on ingredients to see more related recipes)
|820 g||Diced apples|
|½ cup||Desiccated coconut|
|1 to dust||Icing sugar|
- Heat oven to 180 degC. Place diced apple in an ovenproof dish.
- In a bowl, rub butter into flour with your fingertips, or process in a food processor to look like breadcrumbs.
- Transfer to a bowl and stir in sugar, cinnamon and coconut
- Sprinkle crumble mixture over apple and bake for 30 to 40 minutes until topping is crisp and golden brown.
- Dust with icing sugar and serve.
- Use just your fingertips to rub the butter into the flour so the heat from your hands doesn't melt the butter.
- The crumble mixture should look like soft fresh breadcrumbs. Sprinkle the topping evenly over the fruit.
- You can use other fruit, such as canned pears, stewed rhubarb or frozen berries, in place of the apples if preferred.