Hummingbird birthday cake
A Hummingbird cake is made with pineapple and banana, beautifully complemented with cinnamon and topped with a cream cheese icing. Great for a birthday celebration!
For more gorgeous cake ideas, go to our Celebration Cakes collection.
(You can click on ingredients to see more related recipes)
|1 cup||Caster sugar|
|½ cup||Rice bran oil|
|1||Canned crushed pineapple|
|½ cup||Desiccated coconut|
|1.33 cups||Self raising flour|
|1 tsp||Ground cinnamon|
Cream Cheese Icing
- Heat oven to 160 degC fan bake. Grease and line the base of a 22cm round cake tin with nonstick baking paper.
- Place the eggs and sugar in a bowl and beat until pale and creamy, then beat in the oil.
- Stir in the drained pineapple (but not the juice), mashed bananas and coconut.
- Sift flour, salt and cinnamon over egg mixture and stir to combine.
- Spread mixture into prepared tin and bake for 65 minutes or until a skewer inserted in the centre comes out clean.
- Remove cake to cool completely.
- To make cream cheese icing, beat cream cheese until smooth then beat in icing sugar, lemon zest and juice of half a lemon.
- Spread over cooled cake and decorate, as desired.