Amazing apricot jam
In this recipe the lemon zest is placed in muslin, but we have made five batches of this jam and just threw the lemon zest in (minus the muslin) and left it there – it gives the jam extra punchy acidity.
|1 kg||Apricot, ripe cut into 1.5cm chunks|
- Preheat the oven to 150°C.
- Peel the lemon with a vegetable peeler and place in a piece of muslin. Halve and juice the lemon.
- Place sugar in oven tray and heat for 10 minutes, or until warm.
- Put apricots, muslin bundle, water and 2 tablespoons of lemon juice in large pot over medium heat and simmer and stir for 10 minutes, or until mixture is thick and soft. Reduce heat to low and add warmed sugar. Stir if needed and occasionally brush down sides of pan until sugar dissolves.
- Increase heat to medium. Simmer rapidly for 20 to 25 minutes. It may take less time – keep an eye on it and check after 10 minutes. Remove residue from surface with slotted spoon.
- Ladle hot jam into clean jars, seal and cool. Keep away from sunlight and heat.