(You can click on ingredients to see more related recipes)
- Heat oven to 150 degC. Make the caramel. Place sugar and water in a small heavy-based saucepan. Bring to the boil, then simmer until liquid turns a dark golden brown. Pour a little caramel into each of six individual ramekins.
- In another saucepan, bring the milk to just a simmer (don't boil) then remove from the heat. In a bowl, beat egg yolks, sugar and vanilla until creamy. Stir in the warmed milk.
- Pour the custard into the six ramekins. Place the ramekins in an oven pan and fill the pan with hot water to come halfway up the sides of the ramekins.
- Bake ramekins in the water bath for 40 minutes or until the custards are set. Remove and cool then refrigerate desserts overnight.
- To turn out of ramekins, run a knife around each custard and then invert them onto individual plates.