( SERVES 10 )
(You can click on ingredients to see more related recipes)
|2¾ cups||Self raising flour, plus extra for dusting|
|¼ cup||Cocoa powder|
|1 tbsp||Caster sugar|
|50 g||Butter, cubed|
|½ cup||Chocolate bits|
|1¼ cups||Milk, plus extra, to glaze|
- Preheat oven to 220 degC. Sift flour, cocoa, sugar and salt into a large mixing bowl. Using the tips of your fingers and lifting the flour to aerate the mixture, thoroughly rub butter into flour until mixture resembles fine breadcrumbs.
- Stir in the chocolate bits. Make a well in the centre of the dry ingredients and pour the milk into the well. Then, using a dinner knife, mix together quickly and lightly to just combine.
- Turn mixture onto a lightly floured surface and knead lightly and briefly to bring the mixture together into a soft dough.
- Dust the work surface with flour again and press the dough into a 3cm-thick block, then cut out 10 circles (or 9 squares).
- Place scones on greased baking tray and brush tops with milk to glaze.
- Bake for 15 minutes or until they are puffed and golden brown.