Potato-topped sausage pie
(You can click on ingredients to see more related recipes)
|500 g||Sausages, (our preference for this recipe is lamb sausages)|
|1 tbsp||Olive oil|
|1||Onion, thinly sliced|
|2 tsp||Curry powder|
|400 g||Chopped tomatoes, (can)|
|1½ cups||Frozen mixed stir-fry vegetables|
|1 to taste||Salt & freshly ground pepper|
|850 g||Mashed potato|
|30 g||Butter, melted|
|½ cup||Milk, hot|
- Place sausages in a saucepan of cold water. Place over high heat and bring to the boil, then turn down the heat and simmer for 5 minutes.
- Drain sausages and allow to cool a little. once cool enough to handle, cut in 2cm lengths.
- Heat oil in a saucepan, add onion and cook for 5 minutes to soften. Add curry powder and cook for 1 minute more.
- Add tomatoes, sausages and mixed vegetables and simmer for 5 minutes. Season with salt and pepper to taste.
- At the same time, cook the potatoes in boiling, salted water until very tender. Drain well, then mash until smooth.
- Beat in the butter and hot milk with a wooden spoon. Season to taste.
- Heat oven to 190 degC. Spread sausage mixture in the base of a 1.5 litre capacity ovenproof dish.
- Spoon potato on top to cover. Bake for 20 to 25 minutes or until potato top is golden brown.