Indonesian lamb curry
( SERVES 4 )
Lamb shoulder chops are one of the most affordable cuts. This is doubly good news as shoulders benefit from long, slow cooking, which produces delicious results.
(You can click on ingredients to see more related recipes)
|1 kg||Lamb shoulder chop|
|2 tbsp||Olive oil|
|1 tsp||Ground cinnamon|
|½ tsp||Cardamom pods|
|1 tsp||Ground ginger|
|4 tsp||Ground coriander|
|1 tsp||Ground cumin|
|1 tsp||Brown sugar|
|½ tsp||Black pepper - ground|
|1 can||Coconut milk|
- Preheat oven to 170 degC.
- In a large fry-pan cook the lamb chops in olive oil on each side until golden.
- Slice onion, crush garlic dice the carrot and cut in half and slice the aubergine.
- Place vegetables and all other ingredients into a large casserole dish before adding the chops.
- Moisten the tamarind with 2 tablespoons of hot water (optional), add the peel of one lime and add the 425 ml can of coconut milk. Stir well.
- Cover with a lid and place in the oven for around 90 minutes or until the chops are tender. Test by pushing the meat with a wooden spoon.
- The meat should fall away from the bone.
Cook's tip: Investing in a cast iron casserole dish helps produces a great result with slow oven cooking. You can also use these heavy dishes on the stovetop as well.