Delicious ginger cake
( SERVES 10 )
It’s rich, moist and studded with ginger, and everyone who tries it goes slightly emotional on sampling. If you love ginger, you will be in heaven!
(You can click on ingredients to see more related recipes)
|⅔ cup||Muscavado sugar|
|⅓ cup||Golden syrup|
|1¾ cups||Self raising flour|
|1 tsp||Baking soda|
|1 tsp||Ground cinnamon|
|3 tsp||Ground ginger|
|115 g||Butter, cubed|
|95 g||Ginger, roughtly chopped|
- Preheat oven to fan-bake 180 degC.
- Well-grease and bottom paperline a 20cm cake tin.
- Put the milk, sugar and syrup in a pot over a low heat and stir until the sugar has dissolved, then bring to a simmer. Remove from heat and cool for a few minutes.
- Put the dry ingredients into a food processor with the butter and pulse-process until crumb-like.
- Add chopped candied ginger and pulse until broken into smaller pieces. Tip into a large bowl.
- Pour over the treacle mixture and mix together with a fork. Break in the egg and mix until it’s a batterlike consistency.
- Pour into prepared tin and bake for 50 minutes. Turn oven down to 165 degC when you put the cake in.
- Test with a fine skewer to ensure it’s cooked through – it may need a further 5 minutes.
- Leave in tin until almost cold. Turn out and drizzle with lemon icing.
- Grated zest of ½ lemon in a mixing bowl.
- add icing sugar and enough lemon juice to achieve a spreadable icing when well mixed.