Beef Cheeks with Onion, Mushrooms and Thyme
A great dish for the slow cooker - put it on in the morning and come home to it ready to go!
(You can click on ingredients to see more related recipes)
|1 kg||Beef cheeks|
|100 g||Shoulder bacon|
|1 cup||Red wine|
|3 cloves||Crushed garlic|
|1 cup||Beef stock|
|1½ tbsp||Sherry vinegar|
- Trim the beef cheeks of excess fat and sinew, then cut into four portions. Put the beef in the slow cooker along with the bacon, wine, celery, carrot, onion, thyme, garlic and stock. Cook on low for 7 hours (this will vary slightly, depending on the thickness of the beef), or until the meat is almost falling apart.
- Meanwhile, place half of the butter in a heavy-based frying pan, add the onions(peeled and trimmed, halved lengthways if large) and cook over low to medium heat for about 8 minutes, or until golden. Add the sugar and cook until caramelised, shaking the pan occasionally to ensure that it caramelises evenly. Add half the vinegar and stir to remove any sediment from the bottom of the pan. Transfer to the slow cooker.
- Melt the remaining butter in the pan and cook the mushrooms over medium heat for 5 to 6 minutes, or until golden. Pour in the remaining vinegar and stir to remove any sediment from the bottom of the pan.
- Add the mushrooms(halved) to the slow cooker and cook, uncovered, for a further 1 hour, or until the beef is tender and the sauce has reduced and thickened slightly.
- Serve the beef cheeks with the sauce, mashed potato and steamed green veges.