Mark’s breakfast baked beans on sourdough
Like many children of the 1960s and 1970s, award-winning chef Mark Gregory has lasting childhood food memories of baked beans on toast.
(You can click on ingredients to see more related recipes)
|1 tbsp||Olive oil|
|2 tbsp||Maple syrup|
|1 tbsp||Brown sugar|
|1 tbsp||Mild mustard|
|400 g||Chopped tomatoes|
|800 g||Cannellini beans|
|1 pinch||Salt & freshly ground pepper|
- Gently cook the onions, garlic and sliced bacon in olive oil for around 12-15 minutes until soft.
- Add the maple syrup, sugar, mustard and chopped tomatoes.
- Bring to a gentle simmer and cook for 15 minutes before adding the two tins of drained cannellini beans.
- Simmer a further 15 minutes or until mixture thickens. Season with salt and milled pepper to taste
- Serve with hot buttered toast. I prefer sourdough, but whatever you have will work well and help fill hungry stomachs.