Swiss apple cake
This original cake recipe was given to me by Sydney-based chef Dietmar Sawyere – twice named New Zealand Chef of the Year in 1984 and 1985.
(You can click on ingredients to see more related recipes)
|2||Apples, peeled, cored, chopped|
|½ cup||Walnut pieces|
|1 pinch||Ground nutmeg|
|⅓ cup||Caster sugar|
|1||Orange, juice only|
|1||Lemon, juice only|
- Preheat the oven to 180 degC
- Grease and paper line a 24cm loaf or 21cm cake tin.
- Melt the butter in a saucepan and add the sugar. Stir for 10 seconds then allow to cool.
- Then beat in the egg, followed by the flour and salt.
- Place ¾ of the cake mix into the tin of choice.
- Combine all of the apple filling ingredients, then pour on top of the cake mix.
- Dot the top of the apple filling with the remaining cake mix.
- Bake for 50 to 55 minutes, or until a skewer comes out clean.
- Cooking times will vary according to the size of the tin you use.
Cook's tip:Serve with a delicious mixture of natural yoghurt and softly whipped cream, and sprinkle the top with a little icing sugar or grated lemon zest for that extra touch.