Tomato and mince pies
A simple, easy and cost effective mid-week meal.
(You can click on ingredients to see more related recipes)
|2 tbsp||Olive oil|
|500 g||Beef mince|
|2 cloves||Crushed garlic|
|400 g||Chopped tomatoes|
|2 tbsp||Tomato paste|
|1 to taste||Salt & freshly ground pepper|
|6 sheets||Filo pastry|
|2 tsp||Dried oregano|
- Heat oil in a saucepan, add diced onion and mince (lamb or beef). Cook on medium for 10 minutes until onion is softened and the mince browned. Add garlic and cook for 1 minute more.
- Add chopped tomatoes and tomato paste and cook over a medium heat for 10 to 15 mins until sauce thickens. Stir in dried oregano, season with salt and pepper and set aside to cool.
- Preheat oven to 200°C. Quickly brush 1 sheet of filo with butter, top with a second buttered sheet and place a third sheet on top. Cut in half. Repeat with remaining filo to make four squares of three layers each.
- Place a portion of mince mixture on the centre of each filo square. Fold edges and brush tops with butter.
- Place parcels on a baking tray. Bake for 25 to 30 minutes or until golden brown. Serve with salad greens.