Tasty chicken stew
( SERVES 5 )
This stew cooks slowly in a low oven, improves with age and is best with relaxed company and a good bottle of red wine.
(You can click on ingredients to see more related recipes)
- Roughly chop chicken thighs into chunks that are easy to manage with a fork.
- Toss chicken in the flour mixed with the dried Italian or mixed herbs.
- Preheat the oven to 150 degC regular bake, not fan.
- Heat avocado or olive oil in a frying pan. Add chopped onion, crushed garlic, 2 x 410g seasoned tomatoes, sliced mushrooms and rindless, chopped bacon (middle).
- Place into casserole dish when onion is translucent and mushrooms are lightly cooked.
- Add a little oil and in batches cook the chicken till just lightly golden and no more
- Place in casserole dish with all the other ingredients except the wine.
- Pour the wine into the pan that has been cooking the chicken.
- With all the “bits” left over in the pan from cooking the chicken, swirl the wine around.
- Pour that wine mix over the chicken in the casserole.
- Sprinkle with a little sea salt and any leftover herb flour.
- Cover and cook for 2-3 hours.