Lemon curd pavlova
Pavlova is a Kiwi classic. For best results, make sure the egg whites are at room temperature and your bowl and beaters are completely clean.
(You can click on ingredients to see more related recipes)
|1¾ cups||Caster sugar|
|1 tsp||Malt vinegar|
|¾ cup||Caster sugar|
|2 tbsp||Icing sugar|
- Preheat oven to 100 deg C. Place 6 egg whites, caster sugar, vanilla, malt vinegar and cornflour (combined with 1 tablespoon boiling water) in a cake mixer and whisk on high for 10 minutes, until mixture is smooth and glossy.
- Draw a 24-cm circle in pencil on a sheet of baking paper. Turn the paper over and place it on a baking tray. Pile egg mixture onto the circle.
- Cook for 1 1/4 hours (don't open the oven door during this time), then turn the heat off and leave pavlova inside the cooling oven for a further 1 hour.
- While pavlova is cooking, whisk 2 whole eggs and 2 egg yolks and second measure of caster sugar in a saucepan until smooth. Place pan over a low heat, add butter, juice and lemon rind of 3 lemons and whisk continuously until thick.
- Beat cream and icing sugar until thick. Transfer the cooled pavlova to a serving plate and spread with cream.
- Using a jug, drizzle lines of curd on the cream, then change direction and make more lines the opposite way. Run a skewer through curd to make a pattern.