Pot roast veal belly with lemon and fennel
( SERVES 8 )
A wonderful farmer in Taranaki has recently started farming Novello veal. The majority of his joints end up in restaurants. We found one that wasn’t...
(You can click on ingredients to see more related recipes)
|1.2 kg||Veal, belly|
|1 tbsp||Fennel seeds, or powder|
|3 sprigs||Thyme, sage or rosemary|
|4 tbsp||Olive oil|
|1 to taste||Salt|
|1||Black pepper, milled|
|2 cups||Water, or stock|
- Preheat oven to 160 degC.
- Trim and remove any excess gristle off the veal. Use the tip of a knife to finely score the skin side in the same way as for pork.
- Place skin-side down onto a chopping board. Finely grate lemon zest and sprinkle fennel powder all over the belly. Roll and tie with string to create a Swiss Roll-like shape.
- Peel and cut all the vegetables in half. Place these, along with the fresh herbs and garlic, into the bottom of your roasting dish. Add the veal, then drizzle over olive oil and season.
- Add the water or stock before covering with tinfoil. Slow cook in the oven for 2½ hours.
- Remove and reserve the tinfoil. Baste and continue cooking in the oven for 30-40 minutes until the veal has a little colour.
- Remove from oven, cover with the tinfoil. Leave to rest a good 10-15 minutes before serving.
This dish is best matched with
$ VIEW DEAL