Apple streusel coffee cake
( SERVES 12 )
Try serving this cake as a warm dessert, accompanied by softly whipped cream. Remember to store your nuts in the fridge or freezer as they will last longer.
(You can click on ingredients to see more related recipes)
|1 tsp||Baking powder|
|1 tsp||Baking soda|
|200 g||Unsalted butter|
|1 cup||Sour cream|
|1 tbsp||Vanilla essence/extract|
- Preheat oven to 160 degC fan bake. Lightly butter a 23 x 33cm baking pan and line with baking paper. Butter the baking paper.
- Make the topping: stir together walnuts, brown sugar, cinnamon and salt in medium mixing bowl. Work in the butter with your fingertips until crumbly. Set aside.
- Make the cake: combine flour, baking powder, soda, and salt in a large bowl and set aside.
- In a mixer, cream the butter in a large bowl for 2-3 minutes. Gradually add the sugar. Add the eggs one at a time, mixing well after each addition. Beat in the sour cream and vanilla.
- Add the flour mixture and beat until combined. Fold in the apples and walnuts.
- Pour the batter into the baking pan. Sprinkle the topping evenly over the cake.
- Bake for about 40 minutes until a knife inserted into centre comes out clean.
- Remove from oven and leave to cool for 10 minutes before cutting into squares to serve.
Cook's tip: Try serving this cake as a warm dessert, accompanied by softly whipped cream. Remember to store your nuts in the fridge or freezer as they will last longer.