Lai's self-saucing chocolate pudding
Serve this as soon as it comes out of the oven. As it cools, the pudding soaks up the sauce mix.
(You can click on ingredients to see more related recipes)
|1 cup||Self raising flour|
|2 tbsp||Cocoa powder|
|½ cup||Brown sugar|
|80 g||Butter, melted and cooled|
|1||Egg, lightly beaten|
|1 tsp||Vanilla essence/extract|
- Preheat the oven to 180 degC fan bake.
- Grease a 16 x 25 x 7cm baking dish.
- Sift the flour and cocoa into a large bowl. Stir in sugar.
- Combine the butter, milk and egg in a bowl and add to flour mixture. Add vanilla essence. Combine and place in the dish.
- Make the sauce: sprinkle the brown sugar and cocoa over the pudding and gently drizzle the boiling water over the pudding. Do not stir it together.
- Bake for approximately 35 minutes. Serve with custard and/or whipped cream. Orange segments and grated chocolate also work well as a garnish.
Cook's tips: Please note – a 20 x 20cm dish will work as well, but a more compact baking dish helps produce a better pudding. Also, serve this as soon as it comes out of the oven. As it cools, the pudding soaks up the sauce mix.