Caramel & Apple Tart
( SERVES 6 )
Serve tart drizzled with remaining caramel sauce and ice cream.
(You can click on ingredients to see more related recipes)
|6||Granny smith apples|
|4 sheets||Butter puff pastry|
1. Place sugar, water and cream in a small saucepan and stir over a gentle heat until sugar is dissolved and mixture comes to the boil. Allow to boil, without stirring, until the syrup changes colour and becomes golden and then darkens to amber. Quickly remove from heat and pour in cream, stirring constantly until you have a smooth caramel sauce. Set aside to cool.
2. Preheat oven to 200C. Join the 4 sheets of pastry to form one large square, allowing 1cm or so of overlap and press firmly to seal. Cut a 34cm circle of pastry and fold the edges in to make a 3cm ridge and place on a cold baking tray.
3. Spread a layer of cooled caramel over the pastry keeping within the ridge.
4. Core and thinly slice apples, leaving the skin on. Arrange apple slices in overlapping circles on the pastry. Sprinkle with chopped hazelnuts.
5. Cook for 20 minutes until the pastry edge is puffed and golden.