Indian spiced lamb roast served with lemon pilaf rice
Give new life to the traditional lamb roast with Indian spices and rice.
Spiced Lamb Roast
(You can click on ingredients to see more related recipes)
|2 tsp||Ground cumin|
|2 tsp||Ground cardamom|
|2 tsp||Ground coriander|
|2 tsp||Mustard powder|
|1 tbsp||Garam masala|
|1½ kg||Boned lamb shoulder|
|¼ cup||Sunflower seeds|
|2 cups||Basmati rice|
|3 cups||Chicken stock|
|¼ cup||Fresh coriander|
1. Place the spices in a shallow dish and mix well. Roll the lamb in the spices and salt and rub them into the meat. Leave to stand for at least 30 minutes.
2. Preheat the oven to 160C. Place the lamb in a roasting dish with 1/4 cup water. Cook for 2 hours. Allow the meat to rest, covered, for 15 minutes prior to serving.
3. Half an hour before serving, rinse rice under cold water until the water comes clean.
4. Melt butter in a saucepan and stir in 1 teaspoon turmeric and the sunflower seeds and cook, stirring until seeds are lightly coloured.
5. Add rice and finely grated rind and juice of 1 lemon, stir to coat with butter for a minute, then pour in hot chicken stock and bring to the boil. Immediately reduce heat to the lowest possible simmer. Cover the pan with a tight-fitting lid and allow to cook, undisturbed, for 20 minutes. Turn off heat and allow to sit a further few minutes before removing the lid and mixing in the coriander leaves with a fork.
6. Serve lamb with pilaf and steamed vegetables or salad.