Date and Frangipane Tart
( SERVES 8 )
This versatile fruit adds depth to sweet and savoury dishes.
(You can click on ingredients to see more related recipes)
|1 cup||Caster sugar|
|1 tsp||Vanilla essence/extract|
|2 cups||Almonds - ground|
|¼ cup||Standard flour|
- Place flour and icing sugar in the bowl of a food processor. With the motor running, drop in butter pieces
until the mixture resembles rough crumbs. Add 1 egg and pulse just until the mixture binds together.
- Tip pastry out onto a surface and wrap in plastic cling film. Chill for 30 minutes.
- Preheat oven to 180 degC. To make filling, beat butter and sugar until pale and creamy, add 1 tbsp of grated orange rind, vanilla and then eggs one at a time, beating well after each addition. Mix in the ground almonds and flour.
- Roll out pastry to a 3 to 4mm thickness. Line a 26cm pie tin with pastry.
- Pour filling over pastry base and then arrange sliced in half, pip removed dates over the surface, pressing gently into the mixture.
- Bake for 40 minutes until puffed and set on top, with the pastry lightly golden.
- Serve warm or at room temperature, with cream.