Braised Beef with Bacon and Mushrooms
( SERVES 4 )
We all have our favourite stewing steaks, and while I usually favour blade, for this recipe I think topside is best. A casserole is a hearty dish perfect for cool nights, and one that's easily extended if more arrive at the table than you expected. You can always mix in a can of drained cannellini beans or add extra vegetables.
(You can click on ingredients to see more related recipes)
|1½ kg||Stewing steak|
|2 tbsp||Olive oil|
|150 g||Bacon strips|
|250 g||Button mushrooms|
|2 tbsp||Fresh rosemary|
|1 to taste||Salt & freshly ground pepper|
|400 g||Whole peeled tomatoes|
|2 tbsp||Red wine vinegar|
|3 tbsp||Tomato paste|
|½ cup||Red wine|
|2 cups||Beef stock|
- Preheat oven to 150°C. In a heavy-base deep casserole dish or saucepan, melt the butter and brown the meat(cut into 5cm cubes). Remove the meat and set aside.
- Add the oil and gently cook the onions(peeled and sliced into rings), garlic and bacon(cut into lardons) and then add the mushrooms.
- Return the meat, with the herbs and season with salt and pepper. Mix well and fry for a further minute.
- Add tomatoes, vinegar, sugar, tomato paste, wine and beef stock. Stir well, then bring to the boil.
- Cook in oven for 2 1/2 hours until meat is tender. Transfer to stove-top and remove lid. Simmer until thickened, or if need be, thicken with a little flour mixed with cooled casserole liquid. Serve with mashed potatoes and steamed greens.