Raspberry meringue pie
( SERVES 6 )
The addition of raspberries is a lovely change from classic lemon meringue pie. If you object to raspberry seeds, pass berries through a fine sieve.
(You can click on ingredients to see more related recipes)
|400 g||Sweet short pastry|
|1 cup||Frozen raspberries|
|1 cup||Caster sugar|
- Line a 22cm flan tin with pastry. Refrigerate for 30 minutes or longer.
- Preheat oven to 190 degC. Cover the pastry with baking paper and weights and bake blind for 15 minutes.
- Remove weights and paper and bake a further 5 minutes.
- Place the frozen raspberries into the bowl of a food processor or blender and process until fine crumbs.
- Place the milk, 1/2 cup caster sugar and cornflour into a saucepan and whisk until well mixed.
- Allow the mixture to boil and thicken. Pour half a cup of the hot milk into the 2 egg yolks while whisking.
- Pour the egg yolks back into the pan and continue to whisk until well mixed. Add the lemon juice of 2 lemons and raspberries and mix well.
- Beat the 3 egg whites with an electric mixer until stiff, gradually add the 1/2 cup sugar while continuing to beat until the mixture is smooth and glossy.
- Pour the raspberry filling over the pastry base and pile the meringue on top.
- Bake for 15 minutes until the meringue is golden.