Fish pie with kumara mash
( SERVES 5 )
Here's a hearty meal families all around the world will love.
(You can click on ingredients to see more related recipes)
|1||Salt & freshly ground pepper|
|¼ cup||White wine|
|300 g||White fish, fillet|
|600 g||Smoked fish|
|1||Butter, as extra|
- Peel and chop kumara and cook in salted water until tender. Drain, add 25g of butter. Mash until smooth.
- Meanwhile, gently heat wine, milk, bay leaf, onion, celery and peppercorns in a saucepan.
- Add fish and heat gently until fish is cooked. Remove the fish from milk, leave milk to infuse flavours
for 10 minutes and then strain, discarding the solids. Return the milk to the pan.
- Preheat oven to 180degC. In a separate saucepan, melt butter and mix in flour, stirring for 1 to 2 minutes. Gradually pour in warm milk, stirring until mix thickens. Stir in the dill and parsley.
- Arrange fish and eggs in the base of a baking dish and pour the sauce over. Cover with kumara and make furrows with a fork. Sprinkle over crumbs and dot with butter. Bake for 20 minutes until crumbs are golden.