( SERVES 20 )
This chocolate caramel reminds me of several commercially made toffee bars such as Toffee oilks. It gives a good crunch and chew and keeps you wanting more. The recipe is quick, easy to make and perfect for school fairs and parties. Makes 20, ready in 20 mins.
(You can click on ingredients to see more related recipes)
- Place sugar and butter in a saucepan and stir over a gentle heat to dissolve the sugar.
- Bring to the boil, add the salt and cook over a moderate heat until the ingredients reach 140 degC. At this stage it will go a deep caramel colour, and a little tested in a saucer of water will form a firm ball quite quickly.
- Pour the caramel into a lined slice pan and allow to sit for a few minutes.
- Carefully arrange the melts evenly over the caramel and leave for a few more minutes.
- Using a knife, gently spread the melted chocolate to form an even layer, then leave to set completely. Cut into shards once set.