Here's a basic recipe for a tasty mayonnaise, the family will love it.
(You can click on ingredients to see more related recipes)
|1 tsp||White wine vinegar|
|250 ml||Olive oil|
|½ tsp||Lemon juice|
|1 to taste||Salt & freshly ground pepper|
- Place the egg yolks, mustard and vinegar in a blender or large bowl. Whisk for 1 minute. Very slowly pour in the oil, whisking continuously until the mixture has a thick consistency. Don't use extra virgin olive oil as it has a rather bitter taste.
- Whisk in the hot water. This helps stabilise the mayonnaise and gives it a lighter colour. Flavour with lemon juice, salt and pepper to taste.
- Chill before use. If stored in a covered container and refrigerated, the mayonnaise will keep for up to two weeks.
- Garlic mayonnaise or Aioli: Add ½ to 1 teaspoon of crushed garlic.
- Herb mayonnaise: Add 1 to 2 tablespoons of your favourite fresh herbs finely chopped. e.g. parsley or chives.
- Tartare: Add ½ a tablespoon of chopped capers and 1½ tablespoons of chopped gherkin.
- Chilli: Add ½ to 1 teaspoon of very finely chopped chilli pepper or alternatively 1 to 2 teaspoons of sweet chilli sauce.
- Thousand Island or Seafood Cocktail: Add 2 tablespoons of tomato sauce (ketchup), 1 tablespoon of brandy or sherry (optional), 2 teaspoons of Worcester Sauce (Lee & Perrins), 2 to 3 drops of Tabasco sauce (to taste) and a pinch of paprika.
- Caesar or Anchovy: Add 3 or 4 finely minced anchovy fillets, and ¼ to ½ a teaspoon of crushed garlic.
- Red Capsicum: Puree a small piece of capsicum to make 2 tablespoons of smooth paste and mix with the mayonnaise.
- Sun Dried Tomato: Add 1 or 2 finely minced sun dried tomatoes and 2 to 3 leaves of shredded basil (optional).
- Blue Cheese: Soften and puree a small wedge of blue cheese and mix with the mayonnaise.
- Parmesan: Add ½ to 1 tablespoon of finely shaved parmesan.
- orange: Place lemon juice with orange juice in the recipe and add a little grated orange rind (zest).