Hot cross buns
Perfect for the whole family - these hot cross buns are a real Easter treat.
(You can click on ingredients to see more related recipes)
|2 tbsp||Active yeast|
|1¼ cups||Mixed fruit|
|3 tsp||Mixed spice|
|1 tbsp||Mixed peel|
|7 cups||High grade flour|
Crosses and Glaze
- Heat milk and sugar until lukewarm. Add yeast and leave to froth.
- Cream butter and sugar until fluffy. Add egg, mixed fruit, mixed spice, cinnamon and peel.
- Sift 6 cups of flour (suitable for bread making) and the salt into a large bowl. Add yeast and fruit mixture alternately and combine to a firm but pliable dough, using more flour if necessary.
- Turn out on to a floured board and knead for 10 minutes. Place in a greased bowl and leave in a warm place to double in bulk.
- Punch down dough and shape into 18 balls. Place side by side in a 32 x 24cm greased baking tin. Cover and leave to rise in a warm place until double in size. Pipe a cross on each bun.
- Bake at 200 degrees C for 15 to 20 minutes or until golden. Remove from oven and brush with glaze.
- Mix flour and water together until smooth and able to be piped.
- Place mixture into a small plastic bag. Snip across one corner to form a hole for piping. Twist top of bag to hold mixture firm and squeeze to pipe.
- Put sugar, water and gelatine in a saucepan. Heat until sugar and gelatine have dissolved, stirring constantly.