Emily Taylor's Chocolate & Coffee Cake
Emily Taylor from New Zealand's Hottest Home Baker shares her Chocolate and Coffee Cake Recipe
|2 tsp||Baking soda|
|1 tsp||Baking powder|
|½ cup||Cocoa powder|
|2||Eggs, at room temperature|
|½ cup||Sour cream|
|½ cup||Canola oil|
|1 tsp||Vanilla essence/extract|
|200 g||Dark chocolate, melted|
|½ cup||Black coffee, strong|
- Heat oven to 170 degC fan bake. Line a 23cm square cake tin with nonstick baking paper. Place milk and vinegar in a large bowl and stir to make soured milk. Whisk in the sugar, egg, salt, oil and vanilla essence.
- Sift together the flour, cocoa powder and baking soda and add to the wet mixture, stirring just enough to combine into a smooth batter.
- Pour into the prepared cake tin and bake for 30 minutes or until the centre springs back when pressed with a fingertip. Remove to cool, then ice with chocolate frosting.
- To make frosting - Beat butter and icing sugar together in a bowl.
- Add cocoa powder and boiling water and beat until creamy. Makes 1 cup.