(You can click on ingredients to see more related recipes)
|140 ml||Eggs, whites, at room temperature|
|1 pinch||Cream of tartar|
|25 g||Caster sugar|
|225 g||Icing sugar, sifted|
|125 g||Ground almonds|
- Preheat the oven to 125C and sift the icing sugar and ground almonds together.
- In an electric mixer, whip the egg whites until frothy, add the cream of tartar, whisk to soft peaks, then rain in the caster sugar and whisk until firm. Remove bowl and fold in the desired flavourings, then fold in the dry ingredients with a metal spoon. The mix should be shiny.
- Fill a piping bag with the mixture, fill the pre-drawn circles on the baking sheet, leave to air-dry and bake in the centre of the oven for 35 minutes with the door slightly ajar (a wedged tea towel helps).
- Run a little cold water under the paper to help release the macaroons and cool for 5 minutes before removing. Sandwich two macaroons together with buttercream - lemon curd flavour is great.
- To store, stack between parchment layers in an airtight container.