Apple pies with spiced cream
( SERVES 8 )
(You can click on ingredients to see more related recipes)
|6||Red apple, peeled and sliced|
|1 tbsp||Lemon juice|
|⅓ cup||Brown sugar|
|1 tsp||Vanilla essence/extract|
|2 sheets||Short crust pastry|
|1||Egg, lightly beaten|
|1 to dust||Demerara sugar|
- Preheat oven to 200 degC. Place the apples, lemon juice, sugar, cinnamon and vanilla in a large, deep frying pan over low heat.
- Cover and cook, shaking the pan occasionally, for 8 minutes or until just tender. Drain the apples, reserving 2 Tbsp of the juice, and set aside to cool.
- Cut each pastry sheet into 4 squares with a fluted cutter+.
- Top each square with the apples and brush the edges with egg. Fold to enclose, press the edges to seal and brush with the remaining egg.
- Place on a baking tray lined with non-stick baking paper, sprinkle with demerara sugar and bake for 20 minutes or until golden.
- Fold the cooled apple juicemixture through the creamand serve with the pies.
- + A fluted cutter has a scalloped edge. You can also use a knife for straight edges.