Apple gingerbread cake
( SERVES 6 )
(You can click on ingredients to see more related recipes)
|½ cup||Brown sugar|
|¾ cup||Golden syrup, (185ml)|
|2 cups||Self raising flour, sifted|
|½ tsp||Baking soda, sifted|
|1 tbsp||Ground ginger, sifted|
|1||Granny smith apple, peeling and grated|
|1||Egg, lightly beaten|
|2||Granny smith apples, extra, peeled cored and quartered|
|1 tbsp||Golden syrup, extra, heated|
|1 to dust||Demerara sugar|
|1 to serve||Vanilla custard|
- Preheat oven to 160 degC. Place butter, sugar and golden syrup in a saucepan over low heat and cook, stirring, until butter ismelted. Set aside to cool.
- Place flour, bicarbonate of soda and ginger in a bowl and mix to combine.
- Add butter mixture, grated apple, egg and milk and combine. Pour into a lightly greased 20 x 30cm tin lined with non-stick baking paper.
- Cut a row of slits in the extra apple quarters and press into the gingerbread. Brush with extra golden syrup and sprinkle with demerara sugar. Bake for 50 minutes or until cooked when tested with a skewer.
- Slice and serve with custard.