Zucchini and purple basil fritters
( SERVES 12 )
Fresh tomato sauce
(You can click on ingredients to see more related recipes)
|2 tsp||Cider vinegar|
|1 tbsp||Extra virgin olive oil|
|½ cup||Fresh basil, (purple or green)|
|2||Zucchinis, (to 3 depending on size)|
|100 g||Parmesan cheese, (grated)|
|2 tbsp||Basil, (finely chopped , purple or green)|
|1||Freshly ground black pepper|
|1||Olive oil, (light, grapeseed or vegetable oil)|
- To make the sauce - cut a cross on the bottom of each tomato then cover with boiling water and leave for 10 minutes. Peel the skins off, core and dice. Remove the seeds if preferred.
- Combine the tomato with the vinegar, salt, sugar, oil and basil. Mash with a fork then leave to let the flavours develop. Set aside.
- Grate the zucchini into a bowl and lightly sprinkle with salt. Leave for 1 hour then rinse and drain in a colander.
- Transfer to a large bowl and add the parmesan, basil, eggs, and pepper. Stir to combine while heating a pan or hotplate.
- Lightly cover the base of the pan with oil then when hot, add spoonfuls of the fritter mixture.
- Let cook for 3 minutes then turn over and repeat. Good either hot or cold with a spoonful of the fresh tomato sauce and a few basil leaves for garnish.